Skip to main content

The One With the Stages

I wish that, at this point, I was excited to plan Flynn’s second birthday party. I wish that I was buried in choices for theme, menu, and party favors. After all, that is my realm. In our world - the world of having a child with special needs, however, a child ages out of early intervention at three. Turning two is the starting line for preparation to enter the school district, timelines, countless life-altering decisions, and paperwork. I am dreading two for everything aside from the typical reasons. I am ready to embrace the "terrible" twos, but I need to catch my breath before venturing into this unplanned, isolating, seemingly uncharted territory.

Before becoming Flynn's mom, I thought I had prepared myself in every way that I could aside from caring for an actual child. I read all of the books, articles, and blogs, joined groups, and took classes. Does that actually make you a better parent? I don't believe so. I'm not even sure that it really prepares you. What I am sure of it that none of those things prepare you for an atypical experience, like that of raising a child with a disability. On top of everything else, it's a life of vocabulary and medical terms, laws and regulations, obstacles and setbacks, and countless tests and appointments.

I've gone through many stages, but I’m no longer angry. I’m no longer sad. I’m just tired. I'm physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted. Life doesn't stop and allow you the time to conquer these obstacles. Time doesn't pause for you to simply enjoy being a parent, and there are never enough hours in the day. All of my energy goes into showing love, pride, patience, and compassion all while trying to accomplish all of the “extras” that we need to accomplish in our daily life.

Being the parent of a child with disabilities is so rewarding. I have been granted the gift of love and life and endless gratitude. I have learned how to be a mother and an advocate, all thanks to this tiny little soul. I wouldn’t trade this life for anything because I’m right where I need to be. I just need a hug.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The One With The Intensive Care Unit, Part Two

After being admitted to the ICU, I was a patient for another eight days. My memory is a bit foggy, but I do remember being woken up every hour or so for neurological tests (squeezing the nurse's fingers, putting my arms out in front of me, smiling, pushing my feet, and sticking my tongue out). I didn't mind being woken up because if I had more control over it, I would have never slept. I just wanted to get up and see my baby; however, I honestly could barely stay awake. I tended to fall asleep mid-conversation without realizing. I was very medicated, partly due to my anxiety over sleeping because my original headache happened at night. It also hurt to have my eyes open because of my newfound sensitivity to light, so I would just pass out randomly without warning. Because of the vulnerability to brightness (and the fluorescent lighting throughout the hospital), I was always wearing sunglasses which made it hard to tell that I wasn't actually awake during interactions with pe

The One With The Good News

Today, I went to the doctor, which is unfortunately not an uncommon occurrence for me (or my son, for that matter). I had yet another follow-up with my neurosurgeon, who had always managed to crush all of my hopes and dreams with more bad news, more prescriptions, and more appointments. Today, I walked in the office, sat in the lobby, and patiently waited for my name to be called. This week, it’s been a year since my ICU stay. I’ve “successfully” reached 365 self-injected blood thinners to the stomach, consecutive countless pills taken morning and before bed, and days full of headaches with no end in sight. I’m officially one year post-stroke and I’ve carried a hematoma and several blood clots with me every step of the way. Today, my name was called and I walked back into the same room that I’ve entered what feels like a million times before. The same exam room where I’ve viewed hopeless brain scans showing worse results or no improvement from the one before. Even with memory loss,

The One With All The Guilt

In the days that followed Flynn's birthday, I was overjoyed that I finally had the family I'd always wanted. The baby that I hoped and wished I would be blessed with was here and though he was early and we were unsure of what the future would bring, he was ours and we were so lucky to have him. Though I was once again home without my baby after my second hospital stay, I was extremely lucky to be alive and well enough to hold him again even though that meant traveling back and forth to see him. The time spent apart from my baby were the longest hours of my life. I was constantly calling and thinking about him. I sat there for as long as I physically could and whenever I could get a ride back and forth. In spite of the separation and exhaustion, I was happy. I thought it would be that simple: we had our son and I was happy. I was wrong. I wasn't prepared for the never-ending guilt that I would experience. It started in the days before Flynn was born and I still have i